Overview and Facts
If you’re scratching your head – trying to figure out how to get rid of black mold – then you’ve come to the right place! This is a frustrating problem that can gain a stronghold in your bathroom. It’s ugly to look at and gives off a foul smell. The mold can even pose a threat to your health. Needless to say, it’s not something you want present in your home!
It’s an unwelcome guest that has a nasty way of overstaying its welcome. Black mold is a problem that will never leave on its own. Once it takes up residence, your choices are either to deal with it – or get rid of it. It’s never recommended that you ignore the issue. Doing so will allow it to grow and morph into a bigger dilemma. The bathroom is the most common growth area for this variety of mold.
This is because the conditions are perfect for it to thrive – not just survive. Don’t be fooled though! Black mold can develop in any area of your home. Water damaged wood, floors, and walls provide the perfect breeding ground for black mold. It can also form on ceiling tiles (if there is a leak present) with one of the pipes in the ceiling.
Water and moisture is what it feeds on. This is why the bathroom is the most likely area for it to be found. If you’re currently struggling with black mold, we’re going to review the symptoms and types of black mold, how to diagnose black hold, and the best treatment and care for getting rid of black mold. We are confident that if you take our advice, your home will be mold free!
Symptoms and Types
The symptoms of black mold include dark patches and a distinguished “mildew” smell. The strength of the smell will vary (and be stronger or weaker) depending on the coverage of the mold. If the problem has been left unaddressed for an extended period of time – the black patches could be numerous – and the smell – overbearing! Black mold develops from Strachybotrys Chartarun or Strachybotys Astra. These are fancy terms for mold that forms in moist or water-damaged areas of your home.
Health problems are one of the biggest symptoms of black mold. If the problem gets bad enough – the mold is capable of causing respiratory problems (asthma and bronchitis) and it can be life threatening to the elderly and very young. Senior citizens, toddlers, and infants are at the greatest risk from black mold. Nobody is immune to the health risks, but these are the people who’re especially vulnerable to getting sick (perhaps even deadly sick).
Moisture and water damage are the two major causes of black mold. If you’ve dealt with that recently (perhaps due to a flash flood or leaky pipe) – excessive moisture is now present in your home. Showering 1 or 2X per day (and leaving water on the tile walls) can give the mold a perfect environment for growth. These are your focal points when making a diagnosis. Black mold isn’t going to form in areas with little or no moisture. Dry areas are certainly not conducive for growth.
If you’re seeing black patches in an area that’s not exposed to a lot of moisture, then it’s probably not black mold. Otherwise – black patches (and perhaps a mildew smell) are all you need to find to make a diagnosis. If the people in your home are getting sick (with an allergic reaction, bronchitis, or asthma) – then it’s very possible that you’re dealing with black mold. If you decide to touch the mold (and we suggest wearing gloves), it will have a slimy feel to it. Even though it’s called black mold, it’s possible that it will have some green and yellow mixed in to the color.
Treatment and Care
Treating (and getting rid of) black mold isn’t complicated. There are some effective methods that are safe and natural. You’ll also see chemicals that claim to get rid of mold (and they will), but they will also produce a strong chemical smell. Some of the chemicals out there have a harsher smell than the mold itself. This is not how you want to be treating the problem!
You’re simply replacing one problem with another. Even if you kill the mold, you’ll probably end up getting sick from the chemicals. Our focus is on the much safer (and more effective) alternatives. Tea tree oil is the best way to get rid of black mold.
Mix one teaspoon of it with one cup of water in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle several times before spraying it on the affected regions of your home. This option will be slightly more expensive. Vinegar is the most cost effective way to get rid of black mold.
If you go that route, you’ll need to fill a spray bottle with 5% vinegar. Grapefruit seed extract is also very effective (and odorless). Add 20 drops of it to two cups of water and spray it on the affected region. Bleach, ammonia, and borax are also effective – but not recommended. Bleach and ammonia will give off dangerous fumes that can be hazardous to your health. Vinegar, tea tree oil, or grapefruit seed extract are the way to go.